This would be a project to restore them but can't go wrong with the price.
Altec lansing MODEL 19 speakers
This would be a project to restore them but can't go wrong with the price.
Altec lansing MODEL 19 speakers

I think I could save them....if they were close by I'd be calling somebody with a bribe to drag them to me.
Your neighbors called. They like your music.
.......... and they have casters that were probably just wood screwed to the bottoms.
I agree with both you and OG, i think he could save them. But, he's probably going to at least build new bottoms in so doing.
And, that's ok, stock 19 cabinets are nothing to write home about to begin with. They're a victim of the resins that were(or rather weren't) available in the production of sheet stock at that time. That particle board need only catch a glimpse of water and it's on it's way back to it's original raw ingredients which is mostly a pile of sawdust.![]()

Actually AB, read again...he says the pressed wood grill frame disintegrated he made a new frame. Part of it is he isn't using correct terms. "I rebuilt the two screens on the left.
original wood was pressboard and it disintigrated."
You can see the unpainted wood in one of the pics. See below-
![]()
Your neighbors called. They like your music.
Yes, rough handling can definitely ruin those grills. It's also very possible the grills got wet but not the cabinets. I store my Model 19 grills in my basement and I don't leave them attached to the cabinets. I never listen to them with the grills on so I for the most part don't use the grills. A lot of Model 19 owners don't use the grills so maybe the grills were stored where there was moisture (basement etc.) but the speakers were in a living room or other dry location. It's not just that I don't want to hear sound being filtered through grill cloth--there actually is a piece of wood in the very center of the top/horn grill that blocks the highs. For some reason, sound doesn't travel very well through wood!![]()
Being of "Sound" Mind
Bookmarks